Info General

WELCOME TO CROATIA


There is something in Croatia for everyone.


Airport distances:

Split ‚ÄďSibenik 65 Km

Split-Trogir 11 Km

Zadar ‚ÄďSibenik 40 Km


CROATIA - GENERAL INFO


Traveling through Croatia, Dalmatia or Dubrovnik Region offers immense and rich experiences to every visitor. From the coastal to the continental parts, Croatia’s rich cultural heritage, combined with its magnificent natural beauties, make it the perfect place to spend your vacation at.


The total land area of Croatia amounts to 56.610 km.sq / 35.336 sq.mi., with a population of approximately 4.9 million. It features a total land border of 1.778 km (1.110 mi.) stretching from the historic city of Dubrovnik in the South to the ancient Roman city of Pula in the North, encompassing a 1.278 km (789 mi.) section of the Adriatic Sea. Spread like pearls along the coast, Croatia’s 1.185 islands provide a magical paradise to be experienced and explored.


The capital of Croatia is Zagreb, a charming medieval city of exceptional beauty known for its spirit and architecture, with a population of approximately 1 million. The city with a tradition of almost one thousand years celebrated in 1994 its 900th birthday. Over the years, Zagreb has become the scientific, political and economic center of Croatia.


According to its geographic location Croatia is a Central European, Mediterranean country. It consists of three basic geographic units: the Pannonian-Peripannonian (moderate continental climate), the Mediterranean or coastal (Mediterranean climate), and the highland unit (mountainous climate).As a tourist country it is known for its natural beauties and well-indented coast with a total of 1,185 islands, isles and cliffs. It has 2,600 sunny hours per year, which makes it one of the sunniest countries in Europe. Due to its geographic location between the Alps and the Adriatic Sea, as well as in the delta of the Una, Kupa, Sava, Drava and Danube River there is great climatic variability, and therefore different flora and fauna.The seaside area, i.e. the coastal stretch by the Adriatic embraces the islands, the coast and the lower hinterland as well as two kinds of climate: the Mediterranean (in the coastal area and on the islands) and the continental. The indented coast is 1,777 kilometers long, and the coastline along with 1,185 islands and isles amounts to 4,012 kilometers. The climate is characterized by hot summers, many sunny days, and mild and rainy winters. For instance the island of Hvar (with an average temperature of 8.7 Co in January) has 2,718 hours of sunshine a year, Dubrovnik has 2,584. As a comparison, Nice has 2,706 sunny hours. The main natural peculiarity is the blue sea, the coastal karts, and the Mediterranean vegetation.


Nautical tourism - The Adriatic Sea is an extraordinarily interesting and attractive resource of the Croatian nautical possibilities. It got its name from an ancient port of the same name. The Adriatic spans from the Balkan to the Apennine peninsula. The part belonging to the Republic of Croatia is the east coast, which extends all the way from Prevlaka in the south to cape Savudrija in the west, including all islands, islets and cliffs along the coast, and the archipelago of Palagruza. This is a unique area in Europe for cruising with motorboats, speedboats, or sailboats, but also for enjoying the underwater world.


Croatia has 41 marinas with all necessary accompanying facilities at its disposal.


Croatia was part of Yugoslavia - it is bordered by Italy on the West/across the Adriatic Sea - Slovenia & Hungary on the North - Serbia/Yugoslavia on the East - Bosnia/Herzegovina on the South - Most of the west coast is on the Adriatic Sea, which is one of Europe's main beach/sea tourist destinations. Croatia has three geographic types - Mountains mostly in North and Inland from the Adriatic Sea - Coastal on the west - Plains in the eastern 1/3 of Croatia - The tourist industry is very diverse offering wine areas - sailing/diving/beach areas - climbing/hiking/health resorts in the mountains - Sightseeing is as diverse with churches/amphitheatre/historical site dating back to 50AD - The Amphitheatre is still used today - Also including 5 UNESCO heritage sites.


Sea Temperature


Surface temperatures of the Adriatic Sea vary, depending on the period of the year and the weather. During winter, the sea is the coldest, with surface temperatures of around 7C. During Spring, the sea becomes warmer and the surface temperature can rise up to 18C. In summer, the surface of the sea reaches its highest temperatures, from 25C in the southern Adriatic to 27C in Istria. Swimmers will observe thermoclines, parts of the water column that are of the same temperature. The thermocline is most evident during summer, and, . In the summer, we can notice the first thermocline at the depth of 3 to 5 meters, the next one is at about 12 meters, and yet another one at 18 meters, while below 30 meters the temperature is mostly constant throughout the year. In the winter, the isothermal process arises, i.e. equaling of the temperature throughout the water column.



SPLIT


The town and the port situated on the peninsula. On the western part of the peninsula is the mountain Marjan covered with planted forest. The climate is Mediterranean, and the vegetation evergreen and Mediterranean, and even the sub-tropical vegetation, like palm-trees, agaves and cactuses.


The settlement is probably of the Greek origin, with the name Aspalathos, from the 9th to the 11th century under the Byzantine rule. In 1069 king Petar KreŇ°imir IV annexed it to Croatia. In the 15th century it seeks the protection of Venice, and after its fall in the 18th century, it became Austrian. For a short period it was under France, and then again under Austria. In 1882 it acquired Croatian government. The oldest part of Split (Grad) is situated within the walls of Diocletian's palace built around 300. In the middle of the southern front are the Brass doors Mjedena vrata, and to the south from them is the entrance to the cellars with corridors and halls. Along the eastern wall one reaches the Silver doors (Srebrna vrata), across which is the church of Saint Dominik from the 13th century. Through the doors one exits to the square Poljana kralja Tomislava and along the church of Saint Rok from the 16th century one gets to Peristil, the central area of the palace. The longitudinal sides of Peristil are lined with pillars connected with arches.


On the eastern side is the cathedral of Saint Dujam, the former mausoleum of the emperor Diocletian. The mausoleum kept its original form, octagonal from the outside, surrounded with 24 pillars that carried the roof, and inside circular with two rows of Corinthian pillars and frieze decorated with medallions with the pictures of emperor Diocletian and his wife Periska. The monumental wooden doors with the relief with scenes from the life of Christ are the work of Andrija Buzina, and the stone pulpit from the 13th century are the oldest monuments in the cathedral. Master Bonino from Milan built the right altar with the late-Gothic canopy in 1427, while the left hand side one of Saint StaŇ°o is the work of Juraj Dalmatinac from 1448. The main altar was built in the 17th century, and above it is the Gothic crucifix from the 14th century. The baptistery from the 10th century has engraved figure of an old Croatian ruler. Beside the cathedral is the building with the sacristy and the treasury, as well as the archive of the capitular of Split, in which is the collection of golden objects and ceremonial clothing from the Romanesque, Gothic and baroque times. The base of the bell tower is decorated by two Romanesque lions, and beside them on the wall is the Egyptian sphinx made of black granite in the 15th century BC. Opposite to the mausoleum is the little temple, later turned into the baptistery. To the north from Peristil are Zlatna vrata (Golden Doors). To the right is the palace Papali¬• from the 15th century, the most important monument from the Gothic times, where today is the city museum. Through the doors one reaches the location where the statue of Grgur of Nin is situated. To the west from Peristil, following the street KreŇ°imirova ulica, one reaches the Iron Doors (Zeljezna vrata), and to the right of them is the most beautiful baroque palace in Split - palace Cindro (17th century). Above the doors is the little church of Gospa od Zvonika, and its bell-tower, built in 1100 is the oldest Romanesque bell-tower in Dalmatia. On the north side of the square Narodni trg is the preserved city hall (15th century) in which today is the Ethnographic museum. The Renaissance palace Krepi¬• from the 16th century is to the right of the hall, and in the north-eastern part of the square is the baroque palace Tartaglia. The street ҆ubi¬•eva ulica leads to the square Trg bra¬•e Radi¬•a, in the centre of which is the monument of Marko Maruli¬•. On the southern side is the tower Hrvojeva kula, the remain of the Venetian castle from the 15th century.


In the west part of the town, on the little square, is the monastery and the church of Saint Frano, and beside in the Gothic Klaustar (cloister). On the slopes of Marjan Veli VaroŇ° is situated - a thick cluster of streets and picturesque environment. Here is the church of Saint Nikola from the 12th century, and nearby is the parish church of the Holy Cross (Sveti Kriz) with the baroque bell-tower. Up the slopes of Marjan is the little church of Saint Nikola from the 13th century, and to the right from it is the Museum of Natural History, and from there the path leads to the top of Marjan. Downhill to the west is the little church of Saint Jerolim (15th century), by which is a former cave. On the little peninsula Sustipan is a graveyard that originattes from the 19th century. The road to the west leads to the little castle (kaŇ°telet) of the MeŇ°trovi¬• family, inside which is the chapel with a collection of wooden relieves by Ivan MeŇ°trovi¬•.


In the northern part of the town, on the square Bulatove poljane, is the thermal bath, the bastion wall from the 17th century, the building of the Croatian National Theatre and the church of Gospa od zdravlja with the bell-tower from the 17th century, which originally belonged to an older church. Not far from the Park mladezi (Park of youth) is the pre-Romanesque little church of Holy Trinity (Sveta Trojica) with the ground-plan in the form of a six-foil. Beside the stadium is the monastery in Poljud with the church from the 15th century, in which cloister are the grave-stones of the patrician families of Split.


In the eastern part of the town, on the elevation uzvisina, is the big light-house with a relief. In the street Ulica kralja Zvonimira is the church of Saint Klara with the monastery in which the painted Romanesque crucifix is kept (13th century). On the elevation is the fortress Gripe from the 17th century.



BRAC


Just out to sea from the city of Split, lies the island of Brac, the highest and third largest island in the Adriatic. Pine forests, olive groves, and vineyards are plentiful. The white stone of Brac has been used in many famous buildings, including the White House in Washington, DC. The Glagolitic stone "Pustinja Blaca‚ÄĚ is the most peculiar architectural monument on the island and above Murvica there is the Drahonja Cave with valuable relieves carved into stone.


Traditional seaside pleasures are to be found in the numerous bays, on sandy and gravel beaches that form the long and well-indented coast of Brac. The beaches have something special, particularly the Zlatni Rat beach -- their gravel promontory shifts from side to side as the wind and waves constantly change their shapes. There are many seaside resorts on the island, such as Postire, Milna, Supetar, and especially Bol, one of the biggest attractions and the largest tourist center on the south of the island



HVAR


The town and the harbour are situated on the western side of the island. Because of its marked Mediterranean climate and rich subtropical vegetation, Hvar is attractive throughout the year. Around 1920 tourism starts developing, and nowadays Hvar is one of the biggest tourist resorts in Croatia.


The Roman settlement existed in the area as early as the 3rd century. The building of city walls that lead down the hill, and are connected by the southern wall, started in 1278. The city castle was built in the 13th century on the top of the hill, and in 1551 a new city fortress was added.


On the hill Sveti Nikola, by the guardhouse and the chapel, the French built the fortress Napoleon in 1806, and not far from the Franciscan monastery a so-called Baterija ("Battery"). In 1455 the building of the harbour begun, in which the Venetian fleet sheltered in the winter. The centre of the old part of the town is the core of the old urban basis from the 15th century.


The building of the most distinguished monument of civil architecture, Arsenal, started in 1579. Croatian duke Pietro Semitecolo built a building with a big terrace (Belvedere) near the Arsenal. In 1612 it was used as a warehouse for wheat and other grocery. In the same year he ordered another floor on the Arsenal to be built, in which he arranged the place for the theatre hall, in which dramas and operas were performed until 1796. Among others, Hanibal Luci¥ worked here. At present, the building houses the modern art gallery.


By the cathedral of Saint Stjepan, which was built in the 16th and 17th century in the place of anold Benedictine abbey, there is a pseudo-Romanesque bell tower from the 17th century. The baroque stone altars are decorated with paintings, and to the left from the entrance is the late Gothic relief from the 14th century. Above it is the relief "Flogging of Christ (Bi¥evanje Krista), a variant of the work by Juraj Dalmatinac. In the treasury, apart from old paintings and liturgical objects, the cane of Bishop Priti¥ from 1509 is kept.


In front of the cathedral, in the middle of the square, is the city well from 1529. On the north side of the square is the Paladini palace. The building of the tower with the clock, Leroj, started in 1466 in the late Gothic style, and was finished in the 16th century in the Renaissance style, with the bell tower from 1562. The city loggia, built next to the bell tower, was finished in 1479. There is another bell tower on the coast built around 1550. On the peninsula Sv. Katarina there is a fortress from 1811. Two little churches of Saint Kuzma and Damjan (15th to 16th century) and of the Holy Spirit (15th century) are situated in the old part of the town.


Outside the city walls, on the eastern side of the town is a Renaissance summer villa from the 16th century that belonged to Hanibal Luci¥. On the cape between two bays is a Franciscan monastery with the church of Gospa od milosti, where, underneath the main altar, is the grave of Hanibal Luci¥. The collection of needlework (13th to 15th century), illuminated manuscripts, documents and paintings are kept in the monastery



KORKULA


The town and the port are situated on a small peninsula connected with a narrow strip of land with the rest of the island and the surrounding area covered with pine forest. At the beginning of the 16th century the inhabitants lived in the old part of the town inside the city walls. The quay, in its present form, was finished in the second part of the 19th century. By the loggia from 1548 is a neo-baroque staircase with two obelisks.


In the centre of the square is the Gothic cathedral of Saint Marko, the building of which started at the beginning of 15th century, and was finished by the end of the same century with a Renaissance dome constructed by Marko Andriji¥. The cathedral has artistic objects of the local stone-mason. In 1525 a votive chapel of Saint Roko was added.


Across the cathedral is the palace Arneri with a nice Renaissance garden, and beside it the palace Gabrielis in which the city museum is located. In front of the palace is a stone plateau for the city flag (from 1515). Beside the cathedral is the bishop's palace with a rich treasury (liturgical equipment, clothes, paintings etc.).


On the small square is the city hall (ground floor is from 1520) which used to be connected with the Duke's palace built in the 14th century. In 1499 the fortress Mali Ravelin acquired its present form.


The portal Kopnena vrata leeds from the old part through the fortress Mali Ravelin to the bridge, where the path on what used to be a city wall begins. By that way the church of all Saints (Svih svetih) can be reached. On the northern top is a semi-circular tower Tiepolo, and on the western top the tower Barbarigo. The western path leads along the coast to the Dominican monastery with the two-nave church of Saint Nikola. From the portal Kopnena vrata a path leeds to the fortress of Saint Vlaho, built by the English in 1813.


In Korkula the tradition of knights game "MoreŇ°ka" has been kept, which is performed on the 19th of July, when Saint Todor is celebrated.



LASTOVO


The main settlement of the island with the same name. The pier of Lastovo is in the small and shallow bay Sv. Mihovil.


The ruinous little Romanesque church of Saint Ivan is the oldest architectural monument in the settlement. The church of Saint Kuzma and Damjan is situated in the oldest part of the square dates from the 14th century. On the main altar is the painting of Saint Kuzma and Damjan. Out of the rest of the paintings "Pieta", the work of an anonymous Venetian painter from 1545 can be distinguished. The church of Saint Vlaho from the 12th century is on the entrance of the settlement. Beside it the chapel of Saint Ivan was built in 1607, and around the church a defence wall and a tower. On the graveyard is the little church of Gospa od polja from the 14th century, and above the settlement are the remains of the castle demolished after the riot on Lastovo. The traditional clothes are preserved and worn for the festivities.



VIS


The settlement and the port are situated at the bottom of the bay of Vis. The occupations of the inhabitants are wine-growing, vegetable-growing, fishing and tourism.


The ruins of the town surrounded by thick walls are situated on the eastern and western part of the necropolis VlaŇ°ka njiva and Martrilo. On the peninsula are the remains of the Roman theatre. The parish church of Gospe od Spilice was built in 1500, and the church of Saint Ciprijan with a richly decorated wooden pulpit in the 16th century. In the port there is the church of the Holy Spirit (Sveti Duh) from the 17th century.



BOL


The only coastal settlement on the southern part of island Bra¥. It is situated in fertile area with constant resources of fresh water(springs). The occupations of the inhabitants are agriculture, wine-growing and fishing, and tourism is well developed (Dugi - Zlatni rat). Due to the natural circumstances, Bol is one of the most popular resorts for windsurfing.


The place was inhabited as early as the Roman times. In the church of Saint Ivan (probably from the 11th century) fragments of wicker-work are preserved from early Croatian times. A palace with decorated baroque scenes was built near the pier in the 15th century. The house of the Jeli¥i¥ family dates from the Renaissance (early 17th century). A rare horticultural monument from the 17th century is preserved only partly in the park of the Martinis-Marchi family. On the cape Glavice is a church of the Dominican monastery with the Gothic ceiling. A collection of cultural and artistic artefacts is kept in the monastery.



KOMIZA


The settlement and the port situated by the north-eastern side of the bay of Komiza. The occupations of the inhabitants are agriculture, wine-growing, fish-processing and seamanship. On the eastern side of the bay are spacious sand and pebble beaches.


Komiza is first mentioned in the documents from the 12th century. The site of the monastery of Saint Nikola with the church and the defence tower dates from the 18th century. The church of Gospa Gusarica consists of three churches connected with arches, the oldest one being from the 16th century. In the church are: the organ (17th century), baroque altars and silver relief of Gospa od Ruzarija (17th century).



BISEVO


Islet of 5.8 km2. The central part of the islet is a fertile field, while the rest is either stony or covered with underbrush, with the exception of the northern part which is under Alpine pine forest. A little pier is situated in the port of BiŇ°evo, protected from bora and southern wind. The occupations of the inhabitants are wine-growing and fishing. By the sea there are caves, and among them the most famous is Modra spilja (Blue Cave), which is opened for visitors since 1884. The approach to the cave is possible only by boat.


A Benedictine monastery was founded on BiŇ°evo in 1050, but was later deserted because of the danger of pirates. The church of Saint Silvester is preserved near the ruins of the monastery.



SOLTA


The island of 57 km2, 9 km long and 3 km wide. The climate, as well as the vegetation are extremely Mediterranean. The average temperature in January is 7.80C, and in July 28.30C, and the average temperature of the sea is 22-250C. The average yearly precipitation is 850mm, and happens mostly during autumn and winter. There are four ports and 24 bays on the island, and was civilised from the Illyric times.


In Roman times it acquires the role of the stationary-crossroads of the naval routes, of protecting and supplying of the coastal towns, and, above all, of the safe exile. There are over 200 archaeological finds, beginning from the earlier Stone age (Roman sarcophaguses, mosaics, early Catholic buildings, fortified country houses).



ZIRJE


Island of 15.4 km2. It is covered by underbrush, and the coast is indented with a lot of bays. The only settlement is ¥irje, by road connected to the bay Muna where is a pier.



KRKA


Close to ҆ibenik is the estuary of the river krka. Along the 72 km long path from its spring under the mountain Dinara to the sea the Krka flows forming many waterfalls. With ist seven plaster waterfalls: BiluŇ°i¬•a buk (22 m), ҆kori¬•a buk or Brijan (15 m), Manojlova¬•ki slapovi (a row of waterfalls 60 m high, with the main step of 32 m), RoŇ°njak (8 m), Miljacka slap (26 m) and Skradinski buk (17 steps, 46 m high), and its total difference in altitude of 242 m, the Krka represents natural, Karst phenomenon, so this territory is under protection as a national park since 1985. Its total area is 111 km2 by the river, or more precisely 2 km downstream of Knin, and the lower part of the ¬•ikola river. This territory is characterised with especially abundant flora and fauna. There are 860 species and subspecies of plants, among which there are also Illyric-Adriatic andemic ones. In the Krka there are 18 species of fish, 10 of them endemic.


There are numerous traces od ancient settlements, as well as historical and cultural monuments. The oldest record of human existence date from the Palaeolithic. Here are also the remnants od the aqueduct of the Roman Scardona, and on the territory of the national park are numerous remnants of settlements, fortifications and medieval churches. Among the sacral buildings, the most valuable are the Franciscan church and monastery on the island Visovac, and the monastery Krka with a very rich treasury. On the waterfalls RoŇ°ki slap and Skradinski buk are numerous mills that have historical and cultural importance as monuments of the rural architecture and economic history



PRIMOSTEN


The settlement and the port are situated on the small peninsula, protected from the northern winds. The main occupations of the inhabitants are agriculture, wine-growing , fishing and tourism.


The parish church of Saint Juraj was restored in 1760. The church of Saint Matin from the Middle Ages was preserved in a hamlet KruŇ°evo.



DUBROVNIK


Dubrovnik was probably founded in the 7th century, and since then was under protection of the Byzantine. In the 13th century it comes under Venetian rule, and in 1358 it becomes the sovereign state, at which time it reaches its peak of development. In 1806 the French enter Dubrovnik (the Napoleon wars) and in 1808 annul the Republic of Dubrovnik, which in 1815 fell under the Austrian domination. The main city wall that surrounds the town is 1940 m long, fortified with three round and 14 square towers, 5 bastions, two fortifications at the corners of the wall and the fortress Sveti Ivan (Saint John). The most prominent of the towers is the round tower Min¥eta. Lower fortification that stretches along the main wall has one bigger and nine smaller bastions, and the fortress Bokar, which is the oldest of that kind preserved in Europe. The fortresses Revelin and Lovrijenac are self-standing. The city walls are preserved in their original form.


The centre of public life is the square Luza. To the west from it is the palace Sponza, and in the middle is the pillar of Orlando with a statue of the warrior from the 15th century.


On the southern side is the baroque church of Saint Vlaho built between 1706 and 1714. The builder was Marino Gropelli, and it was built in place of the old church from the 14th century, from which originates the silver statue of Saint Vlaho plated with gold holding the scale model of the town from the 15th century, situated on the main altar. The stone statues of Saint Vlaho and Saint Jeronim are of the same origin, the work of Nikola Lazani¥, the sculptor from Bra¥ from the late 16th century. In the churches there are plenty of paintings, most of them by anonymous authors.


In the street Ulica od Rupa is a two-storey building, so-called Rupe (Holes) which served as the ware-house for corn grain, under which are fifteen big dry wells drilled in stone. Today the building houses the museum with the same name. On the north side of the square is the palace Sponza, built in the 16th century. On the ground floor is the Renaissance portico, on the first floor Gothic, and on the second floor Renaissance windows, while the yard is surrounded with corridors with arcades.



TROGIR


The town and the port, the older part of which is situated on the islet. By the stone bridge it is connected with the mainland, and with ¥iovo with what used to be a suspension bridge.


In the 3rd century BC it was the Greek settlement Tragurion, in the time of the Roman rule a strong port, and in the 11th century acquires the rank of the diocese, whence its rights as the town are recognised. In the 12th century it was demolished by the Saracens, but recovers quickly and undergoes a strong economic development. In 1420 the Venetian rule begins, from 1879 to 1918 it is under Austria, and after that again Croatian. The old core of the town, on the islet, was built in the period between 13th and 15th century and recognised by UNESCO. Trogir used to be one of the most prominent centres of Dalmatia.


The picturesque streets, where several pretty palaces are situated, lead to the square Narodni trg, on which northern side is a three-nave cathedral of Saint Lovro (13th-15th century), one of the nicest examples of the Romanesque and Gothic Architecture in Croatia. The main entrance, the portal by master Radovan, is a superb work of Romanesque plastic, that dates from 1240. Inside the forecourt is the baptistery from the 15th century, and in the cathedral the octagonal stone pulpit from the 13th century, the Gothic sarcophagus, Gothic chorus benches, the collection of paintings by old masters, and the rich treasury of church clothing and pottery. In the northern nave is the chapel of the Blessed Ivan Ursini, the work of Nikola Firentinac from the 15th century, the nicest monument of the Renaissance in Dalmatia. On the top of the bell-tower are the sculptures of the four evangelists. The tower is a good example of mixed architectural styles in Dalmatia because every level is done in a different style - from the Romanesque and heavily decorated Gothic, to the Renaissance.


On the southern side of the square is the city loggia from the 15th century and the city tower with the clock. The three-nave early-medieval little church of Saint Barbara from the 11th century is the oldest church in Trogir preserved in its original form.


On the western side of the square is the palace Cipiko, that consists of the big and the small palace separated by the street. On the coast is the Romanesque church of Saint John the Baptist (Sveti Ivan Krstitelj) from the 13th century in which the vault of the Cipiko family is, the Renaissance city doors and the Benedictine nunnery founded in 1064. Further down the coast is the stone pillar for the flag from the 17th century, and the Renaissance palace Lu¥i¥. To the west from the palace is a monastery and the church of Saint Dominik, one-nave Gothic church from the 14th century.


On the south-western part of the islet is the castle Kamerlengo, built around 1420, and it acquired its present form in the 15th century. At present it is used as the theatre in the open. To the north of it is the round tower of Saint Marko from the 15th century. The relief of the Holy Father is on the city graveyard.



SILBA


The island of Silba is an oasis, maybe one of the last in the Adriatic. Silba still cannot be reached by car. This very fact makes it different and more attractive than other destinations. If the island were crowded with tourists it would no longer be what it presently is - a place with few restaurants and attractive beaches accessible at ten-minute walking distance. Promenades along low houses hidden in the greenery do not disclose their number, so it seems that there are less houses than they really are. The number of churches and chapels is surprising - this is a consequence of hundred-year tradition of navigation (navigation used to be the principal activity of the local people) and their happiness after their return home after countless storms. Namely, seafarers frequently built votive chapels and churches, so that today the number of these buildings is disproportionate with the population figures. The belvedere, a real tourist attraction, also witnesses this maritime tradition. Although it is rather old and in poor repair, it is an unavoidable spot for watching the surroundings from this highest point. In a similar way, seaside women used to watch the ships sailing with their husbands on board.


Tractors parked by the houses show that people are engaged in agriculture, which the local market cannot confirm. Namely, the offer of vegetables and fruit should be much better. Very limited possibilities for coming and leaving the island combined with the problem of finding a place to leave the car on land will for some time leave Silba in a class of undiscovered paradise.



VELI DRVENIK


This islet close to Trogir is an attractive location for vacation without too much noise and crowds of tourists and there is not much local population either. In winter, in Veli Drvenik there are hundred persons at the most. If you go to visit the place on foot, this can also be an adventure because there are many neglected paths so one needs to be very careful where to put a foot.


Veli Drvenik has an architecturally interesting church with two facades - the old one and the new one - that overshadow one another. However, there is no priest in the village. Gallery Tramontana is also an attraction because apart from the possibility of purchasing original souvenirs you can buy homemade products such as olive oil, lavender oil etc. That is all about Drvenik. For the lovers of quiet, past times and more psychologically than physically distanced civilization, Drvenik is nevertheless a good choice.



SIBENIK

a city and port in northern Dalmatia, not far from the estuary of the Krka river into the Bay of Sibenik, connected by narrow straits with the Sibenik Channel; population 41,012. The city is arranged amphitheatrically around the natural harbor and on the surrounding hill slopes. The climate is mild. The average air temperature in January is 6.5¬įC and 24.2¬įC in July; around 2,750 hours of sunshine a year. Economy is based on industry (non-ferrous metals, aluminum), textiles and food processing as well as on shipbuilding and tourism. The city, with the old fortresses of St. Anne, St. John and Subicevac overlooking it, consists of the Old Town, characterized by narrow and steep alleys in the west, and the modern part in the north and southeast. Sibenik is a cultural center: the International Child's Festival. There is a department of the Faculty of Economics of the Split University.


Chief occupations in the Sibenik surroundings are viniculture, vegetable and fruit growing. Natural beauty of the region (Skradinski Buk, Roski Waterfall, the small island of Visovac on the Krka, the Kornati Archipelago) as well as the rich cultural and historical heritage of the city attract many tourists and excursionists. Sibenik lies at the intersection of the main roads Zadar - Sibenik - Split (M2, E65) and Sibenik - Drnis - Knin (M11.02); the railroad over Perkovic connects Sibenik with the railroad Zagreb - Knin - Split. Ferry connections with the neighboring islands (Prvic, Zlarin, Zirje, Kaprije, Obonjan).


The historic town of Sibenik, connected with the expansion and development of the early Croatian state, is rich in cultural and historical monuments. The most representative among them is the famous Cathedral of Sibenik, one of the most original architectural projects of the late Middle Ages, primarily linked to the local master Juraj Matejev Dalmatinac (George of Dalmatia). Sibenik is today a tourist center situated in the area where the best-indented archipelago in Europe (Islands of Kornati) and karts hydrographical phenomena (Skradinski Buk, Visovac, Roski Waterfall) merge into the ecologically and aesthetically most attractive tourist and recreational zone on the Croatian Adriatic.


Sibenik is the birthplace of one of the greatest world basketball players Drazen Petrovic. There are many recreational sports grounds, and Jadrija has beach-volleyball facilities. Water sports offer includes yachting and rowing. There are several diving clubs organizing diving courses and underwater photo-safari. The Dubrava Hawking Center organizes falconry courses lead by top experts. Hunting of small game (hare, pheasant, etc.) is organized for advanced participants. There is a horseback riding school in Jadrtovac.


Restaurants offer domestic specialties (lamb, grilled dishes, baked dishes - especially turkey). In the quarter called Dolac, in the town center, there are about a hundred cafés with music.


The most popular cultural events include the International Child's Festival (last week in June and first week in July), the Summer Organ School (in the second half of August) and the Sibenik Summer. The Day of St. James (25th of July), the patron saint of the city, is festively commemorated



MURTER


The picturesque island of Murter, with an area of 18 sq. km, has a significant place. It is connected to the land by a 12-meter long bridge near Tisno. This island of fishermen, olive growers and shipbuilders is the largest and most densely populated island in the Sibenik region.


The coastal resort of Hramina lies sprawled around the vast and forested bay with its sandy cove of Slanica backed by a pinewood, in which there is a hotel and camping site. Murter is the largest tourist town on the island. It has three other tourist resorts: Betina, Tisno and Jezera. Prvic, close to the Vodice resort, is an oasis of Mediterranean plant and animal life.



LOSINJ


The climate of Losinj is very mild, due to its forests among other things, so it has developed into a health resort. Many of Europe's crowned heads came here in search of health and vitality, among them the Austrian Emperor, Franz Joseph, Prince Rudolph, and the Austrian heir-apparent Franz Ferdinand. So the building of summer residences started as early as the last century.


There are many reminders of the island's rich maritime past: strange vegetation brought from overseas, museums of sailing ships in Mali and Veli Losinj and rich island houses adorned with souvenirs of distant journeys. The oldest and most attractive tourist destination on Losinj is Cikat. Modern hotels stand in the shade of hundred-year-old pines, but there are also villas reminiscent of Monte Carlo built along classical lines by the last representatives of European aristocracy. Losinj's special feature is a colony of dolphins, and there are some 150 registered so far. Dolphins are one of the best indicators of the clean sea. Losinj was the first one in the Mediterranean to be proclaimed the dolphin reservation.



CRES


an island in the external range of the Kvarner group of islands. It stretches almost along a meridian, from Jablanac Cape (Glavina) in the north to Suha Cape in the south, in the length of 68 km; area 404.33 sq km; population 3,238.


The highest peak on the island is Gorice (650 m). Along poorly indented coasts, the most prominent place on the eastern coast of the bay is Koromacna, and on the western coast Creska Luka, Valun, Martinscica and Ustrine port. In front of the western coast are the islets Zaglav, Galiola, Zeca and Visoki, in front of the southeastern coast Trstenik and in front of the northeastern the island of Plavnik. There are no water streams on the island; in its central part is the large Vransko Lake (5.75 sq km), with its bottom 68 m below sea level. It contains about 200 million cubic meters of water. Vransko Lake is the main source of water for the islands of Cres and Mali Losinj. Along the coasts of the island are numerous submarine springs.


Typical for the climate of the island are differences between the northern part, in which an average temperature in January is 5-6 ¬įC, and the southern part, where an average temperature reaches 6-7 ¬įC. The northern part of the island has an annual rainfall of 900-1,000 mm, while the southern part has 800-900 mm. The western part of the island is warmer and more humid than the eastern part, which is exposed to the bora (cold north wind). In the northern part of the island, larger forest complexes have been preserved (oak, hornbeam, pine), while in the southern part forests have been preserved only at some places. East of Vransko Lake are the complexes of pine forests. Most of the settlements are located in the western part of the island; the eastern and central parts are considerably less populated.


The major place on the island is the town of Cres. Chief occupations include farming (olive, vine, vegetables), seafaring and fishing (fish canning in Cres and Martinscica). Steep and inaccessible parts of the eastern coast are the natural habitat of white-headed vulture (ornithological nature park since 1986). Quality building stone is extracted on the island as well, in the vicinity of Osor. Along the island runs a regional road, as the main traffic artery, which connects all villages and towns of the island of Cres. It runs from Porozina in the north to Osor in the south and continues toward Losinj. In the southern part of the Osor Strait (100 m long, 6-8 m wide, about 2.5 m deep) a lift Railway Bridge with a road connecting the islands of Cres and Losinj has been constructed. Regular ship lines connect the island of Cres with Losinj, Rijeka, Pula and Zadar. Ferry lines are Porozina - Brestova, Porozina - Rijeka and Merag - Valbiska (Krk island). In recent times the island has become attractive to a number of tourists due to its improved communications.


The island of Cres has been inhabited since the Neolithic (cave habitation Jami na Sredi). Older hill-fort settlements on rather inaccessible hilltops, encircled by a circular stonewall, date back to the Bronze Age. Hill-forts of a square ground plan, Lubenice and Ustrine, date back to the Iron Age, together with the necropolises with barrows (tumuli). The oldest known inhabitants of the island were the Liburnians. Ancient Greek sources mention a common name for the islands of Cres and Losinj, i.e. Apsirtides, which is related with the legend of the Argonauts. Among other ancient settlements mentioned are Krepsa (Cres) and Apsoros (Osor). The Romans conquered Cres during the reign of Emperor Augustus. On the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, the island became part of the Byzantine properties on the Adriatic, and in the early Middle Ages the Slavs gradually inhabited it. The oldest Croatian monument on the island is the famous Valun Tablet, written in Glagolitic letters in the 11th century. From those times are also other Glagolitic monuments of the island (kept in the Lapidarium - collection of stone monuments and fragments - in Cres and Valun). From 1000 to 1358 the island was under Venice, then under the Croatian-Hungarian kings, and from 1409 to 1797 again under Venice. During the Venetian rule the administrative and political center of the island was relocated from Osor to Cres. Osor gradually lost its importance and decayed. After the fall of Venice the island of Cres came under Austria and in the period 1918-1943 it was under Italy. In 1945 the island was joined to the mother country Croatia.



PULA


a town and port in the southwestern part of Istria; population 62,378. Situated in the inner part of a bay, divided by the islands of St. Catherine, St. Andrew and Uljanik into three port basins. According to the size of the constructed coast and level of equipment, Pula is the most important and biggest port in Istria, and the well-protected Pula Bay places it among the best natural harbors on the Adriatic. Due to its size, exposed location, two accesses (the one directly from the sea and the other through the Fazana Strait), low coastline and easy construction of fortification systems, provided the Pula Bay a special strategic importance.


The landscape of Pula includes low and open relief largely covered by red soil. The original forests of oak have been reduced to low shrubs; the surroundings of Pula were reforested with pine. The average air temperature in January reaches 5 ¬įC and in July 23.2 ¬įC; the average annual rainfall attains around 800 mm. In winter, the bora and the sirocco blow; the bora is sometimes extremely strong, and blows in the outer port.


Pula is the economic center with developed shipbuilding industry (Uljanik), textiles, metal industry and building trades as well as glass manufacturing. Tourist center (marina). The importance of Pula as a traffic intersection in the whole Istria has particularly increased by the modernization of the airport. Situated on the main road (M2, E751), and connected with Divaca by a railroad.


The first tourist excursions to Pula were recorded at the beginning of the 19th century. Giovanni Carrara, a conservator of antiquities in Pula, guided the sightseeing tours for distinguished personalities and organized groups in 1828. In 1832 Pula was visited by the Austrian emperor Ferdinand I. The first tourist guide on Pula (Cenni al forestiero che visita Pola - Tips for a Foreigner Visiting Pula), published by the Austrian Lloyd from Trieste, compiled by Pietro Kandler, was printed in 1845. The first public beach, Bagno Polese, for the citizens and tourists, located between the islet of Ulja-nik and the administration building on the coastal promenade, was opened in 1885. After that, two other beaches were constructed, "Sakordana" and the marine officers' beach on the islet of St. Peter, where men and women could swim at different times of the day. During the First World War the Zelenika beach was opened, and in 1936 the Stoja beach (Stabilimento bagni di Stoia). The first modern hotel in Pula - Hotel Riviera - was opened in 1908. Under the Italian rule, the hotels Miramare, Bologna, Milano and Centrale were operating as well as the children's summer camps Principe di Piemonte on Stoja and Sandro Mussolini on Vargarola. In the 1930s Pula had several travel agencies. Tourism in Pula experiences its peak in the 1960s, when on the beautiful, well-indented and green coast south of Pula the construction of modern tourist resorts was initiated (Zlatne Stijene, Ribarska Koliba, Verudela).


Today Pula offers a variety of excellent opportunities for tourists. Together with well-equipped hotels and other types of accommodation facilities, the tourist offer includes many sports grounds, recreational facilities and entertainment programs, terraces with live music, discotheques, casinos, inns and restaurants, as well as diverse excursions. The town disposes of two marinas, so that yachting tourism is increasingly developing. Pula is also a well-known congress center (the large congress hall in Hotel Histria). The town can be reached by various means of transport, and there is an airport in the immediate vicinity of Pula (6 km), constructed to meet the requirements of international air traffic.


Events: the Croatian Film Festival has been organized traditionally every year since 1954 in Arena (July), the Pop Music Festival "Arena" is also held in Arena (July), Art & Music Festival - the rock music festival (in August).


Pula is also a center of sport tourism because domestic and international sports teams and athletes find the favorable climate; quality sports facilities (tennis courts, sports halls, football stadiums, football fields, track-and-field courses, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, water sports facilities, etc.) suitable for winter training season. Apart from the traditional sports on the ground, there are opportunities to enjoy a variety of water sports.



PASMAN


The neighboring Island of Pasman is in fact fused with the Island of Ugljan. The narrow sea channel of Zdrilac could be forded in earlier times. In 1883 it was dug up and made navigable for small ships, and a bridge was added in 1973.


Pasman is quieter than Ugljan, but as both are covered with silver- green olive trees, they are almost identical. Real twins. The old fishing village of Tkon is on Pasman, with a naturist campsite. There are many nice small beaches on the sandy coastal strip known as Sovinja. The picturesque church of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows stands on the hill above Tkon.



UGLJAN


he Island of Ugljan is the garden suburb of Zadar. It has been settled since Roman times, and the name derives from an abundance of oil. There are towns all along the 22-kilometer long island.


The main center and summer resort of Preko is also the ferry port. In front of the Jaz beach, known for its fine sand, lays the verdant islet of Skoljic, thick with pine and palm trees, a frequent target for swimmers. The Franciscan monastery there dates from the fifteenth century.


The small island Osljak, covered by cypress trees also has an idyllic appearance. There is a small picturesque village of fishermen and sailors. The tourist resort of Kukljica has beautiful beaches on both sides of the island. Every August there is the famous feast of Our Lady of the Snows, with a pageant and fishing boats' convoy from the village to the church in the Zdrilac strait, where, says the legend, it snowed in early August some four hundred years ago. The ancient fishing village of Kali, whose patron saint is St. Lawrence, boasts the best fishermen and sailors in the whole of the Mediterranean.



SIPAN


An island of 16.5 km2. The main settlements on the island are ҆ipanska Luka and Su¬•ura¬•, situated in bays with the same names, and in the inland of the island are few smaller villages.


The ruins of the church of Saint Petar from the 16th century, the small church of Saint Ivan in ҆ilovo selo, the early Catholic church of Saint Marija and the pre-Romanesque church of Saint Mihovil, are the monuments from the Middle Ages. Many feudal families from Dubrovnik built summer villas on the island, and the most famous are the summer villa of the Sorko¬•evi¬• family from the 15th century, the Gothic duke's palace built above ҆ipanska Luka and the ruins of the summer residence of archbishops of Dubrovnik



KORNATI


The archipelago consisting of 147 islands, islets and reefs, named after the biggest island Kornat. Mostly built of chalk lime-stone, and there are no springs or other sources of water. Most of the islands are covered with sparse grass, and the sea around them is full of fish. Many bays on the islands can serve as protection for small ships. In recent times there are no permanent settlements. Kornati were declared a national park in 1980.


The remains of the Illyric settlements, fortified castles and stone grave hillocks are the oldest archaeological findings. On the hill Toreta are discoveries from the Roman times, and under it are the remains of the early Catholic church. On the hill itself is the square tower from the beginning of the Middle Ages, while on several spots on Kornat are traces of mostly Medieval settlements



VODICE


The settlement and the port are situated near a shallow bay. The occupations of the inhabitants are agriculture, fishing and tourism, helped by nice beaches and rich vegetation.


Of the ancient wall, only one tower is still preserved. The parish church from the 18th century has the baroque bell and one painting of the Holy Family. In the 17th century a small church of the Holy Cross (Sveti Kri¥) was built on the graveyard.



MILNA (BRAC)


The settlement is inside the long bay with the same name. The bay Milna, with the big outer and smaller shallow inner part, is the best port on island Bra¥. On the surrounding coast are nice sand and pebble beaches. Even in Roman times it offered protection for the fleet of the emperor Diocletian, who used it as a prime port during the building of his palace in Split. Nowadays, here is one of the best marinas on the Adriatic.


The settlement developed in the 17th century, and in 1783 the baroque parish church was built, decorated with stucco work inside. In the bay Osibova are the ruins of the little Gothic church, as well as the little church of Saint Josip.



PAKLENI OTOCI


The archipelago of stony and bare islets. They are covered with underbrush and low forest, apart from the coastal part. On the islet Sveti Klement are three hamlets, not permanently inhabited. The passages between the islets are mostly shallow, and the currents strong. Only the port Palmi¥ana, and the passages between islets Planikovac and Marinkovac are protected form winds.



STARI GRAD

The settlement and the port are situated in the bay of Stari grad (Starigradski zaljev). Smaller bays within the main one are suitable for anchorage and are protected from the winds (Zavala and Tiha from bora, Gra¬•iŇ°te, Saint Ante and Maslinica from southern wind).


Tvrdalj, a fortified summer villa that belonged to the poet Petar Hektorovi¬•, is situated in the middle of the town in front of which is the monument of Petar Hektorovi¬•. Within Tvrdalj is a fishery where sea and fresh water from the spring are mixed, as well as a ethnographic collection of artefacts typical for Croatian kitchens and cellars. Near the villa is a Renaissance church of Saint Rok from the 16th century. In the Dominican monastery an old library is kept, with a collection of paintings, fossils and a numismatic collection. In the vicinity is also a small church of Saint Nikola with a wooden gold plated altar. The square ҆kor, modelled during baroque times is situated in the eastern part of the town.



VELA LUKA


The town and the port are situated in the bay with the same name, protected from northern and southern winds. The occupations of the inhabitants are agriculture, olive-growing, wine-growing, fishing, fish-processing, shipbuilding and tourism. The islets in front of the settlement are suitable for fishing, and the islet OŇ°jak is a protected park-forest. The church of Saint Ivan from the 15th century has a distaff bell-tower and Gothic ceiling.



MLJET


The present name of the island was derived from former names Melita and Meleda, that probably originates from the Latin "mellitus" (of bees, of honey). At the beginning of the 20th century (1909) the mongoose was imported from Asia, and since then the snakes are a rare, and the are no poisonous ones. The cultural heritage of this part of Mljet are mostly localities in the settlement Pola¥e from the Roman times and the Benedictine monastery with the church of Saint Marija on the islet in the lake Veliko Jezero, which were built by the Benedictines in the middle of the 12th century, after the duke Desa gave them the whole island in 1151. The original Romansque buildings were later expanded, especially during the Republic of Dubrovnik, which ruled Mljet from 1345 to its fall in 1808. In this monastery many a discourse, chornicle and literary work was recorded during those six centuries


*** MANY YACHTS OFFER CRUISES BETWEEN CROATIA AND VENICE ****



VENICE(ITALY)


Venezia, is the capital of the region Veneto and the protagonist of the region's most historical events.


Origin & Characteristics


The foundation of this Adriatic city does recount that this seafaring city's ancient inhabitants were originally from the mainland. They were peasants who, during the 7th and 8th century, sought refuge from the Longobard menace in the Venetian Lagoon. Many great voyages were undertaken, it had a rich commerce & trade and it is rich of many great works of art that was the fruit of the contact with many different cultures.


Truly remarkable of Venice is the colossal nature of the works through which its inhabitants managed to reinforce this fragile land, a land that in practical terms is the most unsuitable position for founding a great city with a multitude of grand buildings. However, in the last decades a gradual inland migration of many families took place, which lived for centuries in this city. This is due to the fact that despite the development of modern technological means of protecting it from the sea, its fragile ecosystem is at risk now more than ever before.


Golden Years


The city's golden years began with the 4th Crusade (1202), which was equipped with Venetian ships that the Doge (the head of the Venetian oligarchic state) ordered to change course to Constantinople and then conquer. The conquest of Constantinople laid the foundations for Venetian hegemony on all trade with the Orient, followed by over five and a half centuries of glory and richness, even though from the 16th century the decline of the Mediterranean's strategic importance and the rise of the Ottoman Empire progressively reduced the power of the 'Serenissima', as the Republic of Venice was known.


During this period, the city was embellished with monuments of rare splendor that today make it a tourist attraction like none other in the entire world.


Unique


The city is absolutely unique because it has no roads, but canals, between which the various quarters are built, interconnected by narrow alleyways called 'calli', some of which lead to tiny squares called 'campi'.


Two Faces


Venice has two distinct and equally fascinating faces: an intimate city, with tiny backwaters and the world famous monumental city, with its impressive squares. The Grand Canal, the world's most beautiful and famous waterway, offers an unending succession of the most incredibly beautiful buildings, among which the 15th century Ca' d'Oro and the Baroque Ca'Rezzonico and Ca'Pesaro and the church Santa Maria della Salute (1631). The other famous monumental square is the Piazza San Marco, with the Libreria Sansoviniana (16th century), the Gothic Palazzo Ducale, the Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio - 1496) and the great basilica of San Marco.


Its present-day appearance is the result of numerous restorations performed starting from the end of the 11th century to the 14th century, although its origins date back to the 9th century. Its overall appearance is a beautiful combination of styles, with its Romanesque plan, Gothic decoration and mosaic work of clearly Byzantine influence.


Monuments


In front of the basilica stands the Correr Museum containing significant works of the Venetian school and the Galleria dell'Academia, with exquisite paintings. To the north of the Piazza San Marco complex lies another artistic-architectural complex of equal importance: the campo dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo, dominated by its basilica, locally known as San Zanipolo. This is a veritable jewel of Gothic architecture. At one side of its façade stands the Scuola Grande di San Marco (school) and on the other side the Equestrian Monument to Bartolomeo Colleoni. Nearby you can find the Renaissance church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (15th century). Another exceptional monumental complex is to be found on the opposite side of the Grand Canal, in the quarter known as San Polo, made up of two adjacent buildings: the church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari and the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. This church is one of Venice's greatest monuments for the impressing number of artworks adorning it. Its construction began in 1340 in the purest Gothic styles.

 

we organize , you relax ..

 

.
.
.